Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 27-08-2009

Best codec pack for Windows Vista

I have just upgraded from xp to vista. Installed all the drivers, norton antivirus, some games and some other softwares. Now, I have 20gb to 30gb of video files on my hard drive which are mostly in .avi format or .mpeg format. So, I was wondering before installing any codecs, I would like to know from you guys what is the best codec for vista that I can use? Thanks in advance
Old 27-08-2009

Re: Best codec pack for Windows Vista

In my opinion I would say that dont go for any codecs instead download and install VLC player. You will never have to worry about codecs any more because it will play all kind of video file format.
Old 27-08-2009

There are many list of codec packs for vista, see below:

Download FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder - FFDSHOW is a DirectShow decoding filter for decompressing DivX, XviD, H.264, FLV1, WMV, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2, MPEG-4 movies. It uses libavcodec from ffmpeg project for video decompression, postprocessing code from mplayer to enhance visual quality of low bitrate movies, and is based on original DirectShow filter from XviD, which is GPL'ed educational implementation of MPEG4 encoder.

Download Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

Download PowerDVD 7 - PowerDVD incorporates support for high-definition audio and video, true 8-channel home theater audio playback, virtual surround sound, as well as complete controls and extra features for DVD enthusiasts.
Old 27-08-2009

Which version of Vista are you using, is it x64 or x86 vista? Anyways you can always use 32 bit software on a x64 OS. You can use K-Lite Codec Mega Pack (handles almost all formats, plus has Media Player Classic, also handles Quicktime & Real) and AC3 Filter (for formats with AC3 audio).

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , ,