Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Sale of Microsoft Word stopped in USA

Windows Software

Old 26-08-2009

Sale of Microsoft Word stopped in USA

One of my friend that is staying in United States of America has to ld me that Microsoft Word is no more on sale in USA.

Is that true ? If yes, why the sell of word is stopped there?

Old 26-08-2009

Re: Sale of Microsoft Word stopped in USA

Yeah, that is true. A Texas judge ordered that Microsoft cannot sell Word in the United States because of patent infringement. A company know as i4i had claimed that Microsoft violated an obscure patent related to Extensible Markup Language or XML.XML is a key software component of many websites as well as Word and other programs.The court found Microsoft had infringed on the patent for its software that manipulates "document architecture and content. Microsoft said it was disappointed in the ruling and that it would appeal the verdict.
Old 26-08-2009

Texas District Court judge has ruled Microsoft to stop selling Word because of claim made by and 30 employees handling company i4i. They claimed that Microsoft violated an obscure patent related to Extensible Markup Language or XML. And in against of this Microsoft was also ordered to pay $290 million in fines.Looks like Microsoft would have to settle this lawsuit outside the court and pay a bounty to i4i to get out of this funny situation.
Old 26-08-2009

i4i alleges Microsoft willingly violated its 1998 patent on a method for reading XML. I4i, which mainly makes software for drug and defense companies, obtained the patent for a "customized XML" tool in 1998.Microsoft, in a statement, said it would appeal the verdict. It must appeal within 60 days of the judgment.However, it's unlikely Microsoft will take one of its biggest money-makers off the market.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , ,