Thread: Unable to save files through Microsoft office picture Manager

sad Unable to save files through Microsoft office picture Manager

I just recently discovered this problem today as I'm unable to save a file (jpeg) with Microsoft office picture manager. When I tried to save the file, I get an error message that says

some files could not be saved. Try to save the files again

When I click cancel on the error message, the file that I choose to save to my desktop is gone.

Can someone please provide a solution to this problem, as I have been trying to figure this out, but no luck on my end.....

Re: Unable to save files through Microsoft office picture Manager

This problem is caused when the JPEG has codes embedding the color profile for your monitor. Here's what you can do:

1) Download free graphics software such as Gimp.

2) When you open the file in Gimp, it will tell you if there is an embedded color profile, and Gimp will ask if you want to convert to RGB. Say YES.

3) If you don't want to use Gimp to process your picture, then Save the converted file without any further action.

4) Close the file and exit Gimp

5) Open the converted file in Office Picture Manager.

6) Make changes. You should now be able to save the edits.

This error appear if the same image file is used by any other applications in the background. It is opened and denies to accept changes. You will have to log off your pc first. Then once again open the image in Picture Manager make changes and try to save it. This will be enough to fix the issue. Second thing if still you get error then try to change the location where you are saving pictures. Try to save in some other partition or in different folders. The issue can be also due to bad sectors. You have to run a hard drive test tool to locate details about drive health.

I got this issue due to Picasa. It is installed in my pc and it was uploading all the images online. At the same time I was trying to modify certain images and get the error. I used a third party task killer software. It is called as Process Explorer. I had terminated a set of various task from the system through that and the problem is resolved. I was able to save file. Whenever you get this error try to go with Save As. This will create a new version of image and you can later on delete the older one. This is another simple of avoid errors. I do not think this can be a bad sector problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazej View Post
    This problem is caused when the JPEG has codes embedding the color profile for your monitor. Here's what you can do:

1) Download free graphics software such as Gimp.

2) When you open the file in Gimp, it will tell you if there is an embedded color profile, and Gimp will ask if you want to convert to RGB. Say YES.

. . . .

This comment about the "color profile" and RGB got me looking at the settings for my scanning software. I'm using Microtek Scanwizard 5 to scan images and create JPEG files. In the "Preferences" tab for the software, I found some settings for "Color Monitor Setup." That has settings for "Monitor" and "RGB Destination".

I don't know what those settings do, or even what RGB is (red-green-blue, I guess). The default settings are "sRGB" for both "Monitor" and "RGB Destination." I started experimenting with other settings from the drop-down menus. One of them was a setting labeled "sRGB IEC61966-2.1". When I set both settings to that value, the problem was solved, and I was able to edit JPEG files and save them with Microsoft Office Picture Manager.

So, I don't know what the difference is between "sRGB" and "sRGB IEC61966-2.1", but it makes all the difference to my computer. My advice to those who are scanning items (as opposed to downloaded images from the internet or your camera) is to check the settings on your scanner software and see if there are similar settings to mine that can be adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by rdimucci View Post
    This comment about the "color profile" and RGB got me looking at the settings for my scanning software. I'm using Microtek Scanwizard 5 to scan images and create JPEG files. In the "Preferences" tab for the software, I found some settings for "Color Monitor Setup." That has settings for "Monitor" and "RGB Destination".

I don't know what those settings do, or even what RGB is (red-green-blue, I guess). The default settings are "sRGB" for both "Monitor" and "RGB Destination." I started experimenting with other settings from the drop-down menus. One of them was a setting labeled "sRGB IEC61966-2.1". When I set both settings to that value, the problem was solved, and I was able to edit JPEG files and save them with Microsoft Office Picture Manager.

So, I don't know what the difference is between "sRGB" and "sRGB IEC61966-2.1", but it makes all the difference to my computer. My advice to those who are scanning items (as opposed to downloaded images from the internet or your camera) is to check the settings on your scanner software and see if there are similar settings to mine that can be adjusted.
    I have read that both color spaces are usually having the same number of colors, that is, 256 red, 256 green and 256 blue. Small color space is used by the sRGB so the difference between the colors is closer together and nothing else.