Thread: Asus Drive Xpert

Asus Drive Xpert

Asus bundles the 'Drive Xpert' utility with its motherboards, i have ASUS P5Q . What is Asus Drive Xpert? What does this program do?

Re: Asus Drive Xpert

There should be description in this utility. Actually Drive Xpert allows you to install your OS without F6'ing drivers. Drive Xpert may use more system resources in the end. But i'll suggest you to use it because it reduces your dependability on a single point of failure.

Practically if you wanna know, as you can see on your motherboard two differently colored SATA ports they worsk with Drive Xpert. Actually it easy way to configure RAID 0 or RAID 1 using the hardware of the motherboard . But if you are not installing the RAID you don't need to install it, or activate it in BIOS.

Drive Xpert in EZ-Backup mode does store the data of the first drive (drive 0 or the one connected to the orange connector). Drive Xpert automatically rebuilds the second drive (white connector) and takes quite a while to do it. Careful because the only indication that it is rebuilding is the flyover text for the tray icon. The Help for the Drive Xpert GUI is actually kinda helpful. The SI/Marvell chip does support an ATAPI (optical) device - only in the orange connector. And it is possible to install the system on drive 0 (orange connector) and then set it to EZ-Backup (RAID-1) to mirror the system drive. It even deals with dynamic disks.

Drive Xpert – The Easy and Safe Way for Data Management

Users usually store their precious photos and favorite music in their computer hard disks. Due to the complexity in traditional backup solutions and the long amount of time taken for backups, it is seldom convenient or easy to manage these backups; even traditional RAID options – which solve these problems, suffer from hard and complex setup processes. Thus most users do without any form of backup and run the risk of losing their precious data in the event of crashes or accidental data loss. Without any need for drivers or complex setups, the ASUS exclusive Drive Xpert solves all these dilemmas and is ideal for anyone who needs to secure their data on their hard drives or enhance hard drive performances without the hassles of complicated configurations. With Drive Xpert´s exclusive user-friendly graphical user interface, users can easily arrange hard drive backups or enhance their hard drive transfer rates - making sure that data is looked after every moment, every day.

Source: asus.com

Quote Originally Posted by orson View Post
    Drive Xpert in EZ-Backup mode does store the data of the first drive (drive 0 or the one connected to the orange connector). Drive Xpert automatically rebuilds the second drive (white connector) and takes quite a while to do it. Careful because the only indication that it is rebuilding is the flyover text for the tray icon. The Help for the Drive Xpert GUI is actually kinda helpful. The SI/Marvell chip does support an ATAPI (optical) device - only in the orange connector. And it is possible to install the system on drive 0 (orange connector) and then set it to EZ-Backup (RAID-1) to mirror the system drive. It even deals with dynamic disks.
    Need help: I had one sata drive in normal mode, containing the system. I moved this drive to the Port0(orange) connector, and a bigger drive to the Port1(white) connector, enabled RAID at the Bios, and everything worked fine. Now, I would like to enable EZBackup, in order that the first drive is duplicated to the second. Using the provided software, I click on mode change, select Ezbackup, but, before starting, there is a warning saying "This operation will erase all data previously stored in the Port0(orange) and Port1(white) disk drives" - and of course I cancel the operation. So, I do not understand how to do it. Thank you for your help.