Thread: VobSub problem in Vista Media Center

VobSub problem in Vista Media Center

Hi,
    I do not know for some reason my media center does not shows up DVD titles. I think it has not able to read the VobSub files and throws up the title on the media center screen. Which codec will I need to make this thing work. This problem arises same for .avi, mkv files. Some time when I open a DVD the thumbnail view on the main screen does not appear. It shows up some kind of unidentified icons. I had installed ffdshow with default settings. What proper codecs will I need to make the DVD menu work without any reading error. And will the same codec will work for Vista 64 bit version of Windows also.

Re: VobSub problem in Vista Media Center

The problem here lies in the auto loading of VSfilter. The VSfilter reads up the DVD menu and gave you an output of tracks information, subtitiles, language support. If your VSFilter codec is not proper then you will not get the result you want. It is responsible in .avi and other DVD files to display the titles and menus. It is possible that VSfilter gallery may be corrupted in Vista Media Center or the codec which you had installed is not compatible with it. FFDshow is fine but install Windows Media Player Classic - Home Cinema with it. You will not receive the same error back again. Update back everything to the current date.

I will recommend you to download VSFilter along with ffdshow. Both codecs are important in a different way. I too faced the same problem in Vista Media center. But after a proper VobSub update the issue was solved out. It is due to different reading patterns created each time and the codecs give the information to player to read and play those files. VobSub is a freeware tool available on multiple sites for free download. Download the below codec and configure it with your Media Player. You can also try VLC for the same.
    Download VSFilter

For the 64 bit edition of Vista Media Center you will have to download the compatible version for the same. The latest version of vobsub includes both the 32 bit and 64 bit version which works with Windows Media Player, VLC, etc. The error which you are facing can be due to broken subtitle directory in the DVD. It is better that you must re-install all the packages back again. It is also quiet easy to enable/disable the subtitles just to check that it is not put on close. Some time just turning them on and off things works. This is purely a codec issue. So just update to latest and restart your system.