Thread: How to convert a .wtv file

How to convert a .wtv file

Hi,
    I had recorded some shows from a online digital channels. The shows are stored in the recorded video folder in the form of .wtv. When I copy pasted them in a different folder and tried to play them my Media player does not support the format. I am using winamp for this purpose. Now I want a good converter tool which can convert the file to the most common readable format. I have seen some on the internet but need the most easy one. And if possible please suggest a tool which can repair a broken file. Because I have some files in my pc which are same in wtv format but the recording was canceled due to a power failure. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to convert a .wtv file

The best way according to me is to covert the files to DVR-MS format. This is a another type of format in which Windows Media center saves the recorded shows. Windows Movie Maker can read the format and you can create a different format out of it. But you will need to take care though there are many converters on the internet but some programs are copyright protected. You are not allowed to distribute them publicly. If get caught then you can face penalties. See the below threads. They provide you more information and free tool download to convert a media center recorded show file.
    http://forums.techarena.in/mediacenter/224656.htm
    How to convert DVR-MS to MPEG4 to use on Sony
    http://forums.techarena.in/mediacenter/827261-2.htm

There is free tool called Haali Media splitter which is now called as DirectShow. It has library of all the codec with .mtv support. It can handle multiple audio and video format with a powerful converting features. If you want to repair you broken files then this is a ideal solution. The converting engine in the tool tries to repair your broken file to full version. It has codec library which can read and convert almost any sound and video. But I am not sure about the repairing of broken files. The best way is to download them back again. You can also use wincrc tool which is used to repair the half or incomplete download file. It retrieves only the broken part from the internet.

Haali Media Splitter

There are multiple ways to convert a .wtv file into a different format. I was usually using WTV to AVI converter. A very straight forward converter in which you can directly convert those recorded tv shows to .avi which is a common dvd format. But this software is not for free. You can download a free version on a trial basis but for entire full access you will have to pay a small fee. The best thing about the converter is that it is quiet easy to use and just on one click your shows are converted to .avi. The video quality output is in HD mode with 1080p or 720p output.