Thread: How to relocate temprec directory in Media Center

How to relocate temprec directory in Media Center

I was watching my live TV on Windows Vista Media Center. When I press the stop button the application is still recording the channel and then copying to the hard drive. After a quiet search I found the I cannot relocate the location of temprec directory. Why this so. How can I change the default location of the temprec directory. And what are the ways to increase the TV buffer size to increase the speed of channel.

Re: How to relocate temprec directory in Media Center

I was too looking for the same solution. I had tried out many times but could not found a appropriate solution. At last looking in somewhere on the internet I found that you can maka a symlink in visa or a hard drive link in Windows XP to change the same location. Otherwise edit the below registry keys to do the same action. Click on Start > Run > Regedit and navigate to the path - [HLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Video\Tuners\DVR\IO\Writer\DVRDirectory"="F:\\Recorded TV\\TempRec\\"

Temprec is the file of Media Center which used for time shifting. It normally records the channel that you are viewing currently which allows you pause, rewind and fast-forward on a live TV. When the files bcomes too large then it ask for a restart and then Media center tries to allocate some free space. So if you are watching a TV for a long time then file grows to extremely big and then lows your system performance. The location is set by default and you cannot edit it.

The following solution can increase up your Buffer size and increase your channel speed. First click on Start Menu > Run > Type Regedit. Then type HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows \Cur rentVersion\Media Center\Service\Video\Tuners. Now change the value for BackingFileDuration set 300, you will get 1 hr by setting BackingFileDuration to 600, in the same way 900 for 1.5 and 1200 for 2 hrs.

how do I change FF/RW buffer speed/time?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    I was too looking for the same solution. I had tried out many times but could not found a appropriate solution. At last looking in somewhere on the internet I found that you can maka a symlink in visa or a hard drive link in Windows XP to change the same location. Otherwise edit the below registry keys to do the same action. Click on Start > Run > Regedit and navigate to the path - [HLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Video\Tuners\DVR\IO\Writer\DVRDirectory"="F:\\Recorded TV\\TempRec\\"
    I can't change location of TempRec in Windows 7