Thread: DVR-MS Copyrigth Protection Issue

DVR-MS Copyrigth Protection Issue

I am a newbie in DVD burning. I had purchase a new computer recently to create a backup of my uncles movie directory. Now recently he gave me a external hard drive which has a number of video files which are in DVR-Ms format. After googling on the internet I discovered that it is a media center file. Now I worry that this files are copyright protection. So does it is fine to burn them on Disc and will it burn. Are there some converter which can convert it to a other regular format like mpeg, dat, avi, etc. Thanks in advance.

Re: DVR-MS Copyrigth Protection Issue

Normally as per copyright law it is not legal to burn a disk out of original media. Weather it is in the form of a content or a hardware. If found doing it then you can be face legal enforcement. According to me I will not recommend you to do that. But due to large use of digital media like on internet you can get free songs, etc it is considered for personal use and if caught in distributing the original content then you will be in trouble.

This basically depends on the type of disc and the disc burner you are using. Many new burners encodes the file to readable format and burn it. For example Nero. If you add up a movies in Nero then first it will encode the digital media and then burn it to a readable disc. But Nero does not support a copyright disc. It will not burn it anyhow. You will have try something else.

Download a DVR-MS converter tool. There are ample of available on the internet. You can download it and convert them to mpeg files. Then use Nero and burn them to the disc. Nero will burn it properly on a readable format. DVR-MS converter is a shareware tool which can convert the format to wmv, mpeg, mov, avi, mepg4, etc.