Thread: Drive defragmentation doesn't finish why?

Drive defragmentation doesn't finish why?

Hi,

I am not sure what is wrong with my computer. Whenever I try to defrag D: drive it never completes. The percentage is only 4% complete & it wont go any further. I dont understand what is the fault. Is it a hardware problem or OS problem?
    Drive defragmentation doesn't finish why?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Drive defragmentation doesn't finish why?

How much space is free on your D drive? If you wish to perform a defrag then your drive must be 20% free. Try to delete some data if its quite filled.

Have you tried to defrag your drive in safe mode?

For tune up to keep going too long , OneCare limits the amount of time that it's stood for defragmentation to spend again, if it means that the defragmentation process is often stopped before it can end. If this happens you will get this message about the process is not complete. This is really just an information message and not error message to be misunderstood. There is no time when you direct the defragmentation of the system ends, so it would always run to completion. Running the defragmenter from the system will thus allow it to get “caught up” on its work, and also to reveal any potential problems to that could cause the back to touch.

The way work is done by defragmenting bits which have that on your hard drive and moving them to a suitable place, as in a sequential line will be distributed. If you have half of your HDD cleaned, it will be clean when you then have access time, and you will only need to defragment the other half. Think of it as organizing books in a library, then leave it for a while (and what can be re-moved, but not many) and coming back. Of course, whether or not defragment will recognize this. It may still be the same process, it "ensure's okay anyway. But to your question, it was recovered, and it had an effect.