Thread: Which one is better from AC3 1.5 or DTS 1.5

Which one is better from AC3 1.5 or DTS 1.5

Hi,
    I have some movie DVD which are not working in my DVD player. After browsing the content it shows up that the sound format is DTS 5.1. By searching on internet I figure out that AC3 is the most compatible sound format in part of surround sound. Is it possible to convert the format to AC3. And among DTS and AC3 which of them which is better. What is the difference between them. Thanks in advance.

Re: Which one is better from AC3 1.5 or DTS 1.5

It is very rare that some DVD only comes with DTS 5.1 sound. Each DVD should have a either PCM or AC3 audio except DTS. I had never came across. AC3 is the most compatible format with all DVD player. But DTS is not. Both refer to a high quality surround sound but due to compatibility issue AC3 or now replaced as Dolby Digital is better. You can download any DTS Decoder and convert the same file to AC3.

DTS is a competitor of Dolby Digital. The AC3 and DTS sound type is the most confusing element in the home theater system. There are dozens of different standards available in the market right now. The most common three formats are Dolby Pro-Logic, Dolby Digital and DTS. You can see the logo on your DVD player. If it shows Dolby Digital that means it supports the format and will read it. Dolby Digital is a higher version of AC3 audio type. The main motive on developing this format is sound clarity, conversion, great experience to the user, etc. I will recommend you to use Dolby Digital 5.1.

The major difference between DTS and AC3 audio is that DTS's 1.5 mbps bitrate is four times higher than AC3's 384 kbps. Here you can see that the output quality of DTS is more than AC3. But DTS is not compatible with all players. Both of them have plenty of ability to generate good sound. But DTS is used for better development. But that does not means that AC3 is not better. The new Dolby Digital (DD) version of AC3 is same as better as DTS. Here the more votes goes to AC3 or Dolby Digital. Because they are the most common format in HDTV.