Thread: Accidentally saved over document in Word

Accidentally saved over document in Word

I need to send some important documents to my clients so i open Word 2007 and started writing in it by but mistake i had press control + S and my file got overwritten by old file , in short instead of Save AS i press Save command and file got replaced with the new one. I need to have that old file too because it's very important which consists of important details of my clients in it. Can anyone recover my old save file.

If your documents is still open then you can use undo option to all the actions back to the point where you opened the document and then. Resave under the original filename, then Redo all the actions and Save As. Try to do it because this is one of the simplest way of getting your document.

If you are using Office 2007 then you can definitely get your file back because in this there is an option of automatic backup where you can get your old files. To prevent this in the future is make a VBA macro to "save a copy" as opposed to "save as". This will make a copy of the document using a new name and you will be able to get those file. Hope you get your data back.

You can do two things over here if YOUR WORD DOCUMENT HAS TO STILL BE OPEN for either to work undo everything you did and save the original doc as another filename or else you can go to the directory where the file is located and find the temporary file that has been created when you opened the first file. Right click, copy and paste as a different doc. Again, this can work if you're lucky.