Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2009

How to pass reference to vector objects

I was reading about the descriptions in which it was telling about the referencing in Java, now I decided to modify the values of a vector within a function where I declare the vector outside that function. How to pass a reference or pointer to that data structure. What would be the corresponding object in STL?
Old 07-08-2009

Re: How to pass reference to vector objects

you have to create a specialization, or instance, of a vector and then pass it by reference to a function. For example, to pass a vector of int's, Vectors are a kind of sequence containers. As such, their elements are ordered following a strict linear sequence. Compared to arrays, they provide almost the same performance for these tasks, plus they have the ability to be easily resized.
Old 07-08-2009

Although, they usually consume more memory than arrays when their capacity is handled automatically (this is in order to accomodate for extra storage space for future growth). I want the vector to be passed by reference so that whatever changes I make in it in session bean method, these are reflected beack in client without returning the vector. Compared to the other base standard sequence containers (deques and lists), vectors are generally the most efficient in time for accessing elements and to add or remove elements from the end of the sequence.
Old 07-08-2009

What else travels on this socket? If it is your own protocol then add a verb to the protocol that says "get that big thing from a known location" and just send the verb. When a reference variable is passed to another function, its value can be changed in the function. This is similar to how variable may be changed in a function by passing a pointer to the variable. That is, a complete copy of its current state gets passed over the wire to the EJB, which "deserializes" it into a copy of the original vector.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , ,