Thread: How to Password protect your Computer

How to Password protect your Computer

I have install Windows XP SP2 on my Dell laptop and i need to protect my laptop so that no one else can use without my permission. I know that someone has been coming into the office after hours and on weekends and reading my emails and looking at files. Can anyone tell me what should i do in order to make my computer secure?

To have a password protected for your computer you need to set user permissions/restrictions with Group Policy by click on Start and goto run and type gpedit.msc press enter. When you are using the Policy Editor can be tricksy and if you are using Windows XP Home, then you need to use MVP Doug Knox's Security Console or the MS Steady State. SteadyState also works in XP Pro if you'd rather not use Group Policy.

If you want to protect your computer when it's being on then in that case i would suggest you to Press Ctrl +Alt +Delete where your computer will get locked or else you can also pressed windows + L key and then goto Control panel over there goto user setting and set the password which you need to have it. But make sure you remember that password if you have forget then you can also not login to that computer.

I would suggest you to have a boot password which asks you for password whenever your system is being restarted. You can set the boot password in the BIOS when your computer is starting up. Usually the computer tells you when you can enter the BIOS (press Del to enter setup). The BIOS is different for different computers. If you check the documentation for your computer, it should tell you how to set a password. Or, if you feel comfortable exploring your BIOS, simply enter setup and look for a security or boot option.