Thread: What is a .srt file in a DVD

What is a .srt file in a DVD

Hi,
    I am copying some DVD movies in my hard drive. After copying the enter disc when I browse the DVD folder it shows me four folders. The mpeg one is the video that i know but I discovered some srt file extensions. What are this. If I delete them then does it effect the movie also. I had already moved them. So should I delete them or not. Need advice. Thank in advance.

Re: What is a .srt file in a DVD

The srt extension is related to the title and subtitles in a video. This one is supported by Divx, DVD and various formats. If you remove them then you cannot view the subtitles in a menu and other video. It will not effect your video but the way you play a DVD it will not play in that manner when at starting a menu comes up. It is recommended that you should not delete it.

It is just a plain .srt file which is referred to the text in the video. The folder is created when you burn a video and add up a text like title, languages, etc. The mpeg folder is the main one which has all movies in it. Just create a single folder and pate all the file in it. Like the DVD video and .srt file. And play it with VLC player. VLC player reads this file formats and you can see those text on the screen.

If you delete them then hopefully you can face some issue at the time of watching a video. SRT files are the integrated files of the video. It is the text file which is shown the video screen like main title, menu title, subtitle, etc. They are very small in size. So it does not matter that you can keep it or not. But I will advice you not delete those files. They can have some language details.