Thread: Need to Upgrade Windows Media Player 9

Need to Upgrade Windows Media Player 9

Hi,
    I was trying to upgrade Windows Media Player 9. Anyhow I downloaded the upgrade and then after the installation it ask for a restart. I restarted the system and launch the player. But when I double clicked on the icon a error comes up stating that the Media Player could not be run due to some specific file is missing. So I need help for this. I had download Window Media Player 11 and I am using Windows XP. Thanks in advance.

Re: Need to Upgrade Windows Media Player 9

Your download file is corrupted. A system restore can fix your problem. But you cannot run the upgraded version. It will restore your old settings and then it will work as it was. Click on Start Menu and go to Programs and click on Accessories > system tools. Then click on System restore and in the window select the option of restore to last time the second and one and select a old data in the calender. Select next and wait for a moment. Windows will restart and your old media player will be restored. This why because all Windows new upgrades always creates a System Restore Point automatically so that you can restore it back in case of any error.

You had downloaded the wrong version. Windows Media Player 11 does not work in Windows XP. It is designed for Windows Vista. Basically the installation also does not go further. It determines the system information and then it moves further with the installation process. Second thing if you are using Windows XP x64 bit version then it can work but below that will not do. Click the below link and download the fresh setup file Windows Media Player 10.
    Download Windows Media Player 10.

You have downloaded a wrong version of Windows Media Player. The newer version supports Vista not XP. The other thing is that you even cannot remove it. Because it is a integrated software. One thing you can do is restore your computer or run a repair function of Windows XP by Windows bootable disc and you are done. Even some Windows update can solve your issue. So just run a Windows Update.