Thread: Error playing dvd create overlay failed

Error playing dvd create overlay failed

I'm running Windows XP as my operating system. When i run InterVideo Win DVD I get an error message "Create Overlay failed". Please lower your screen resolution or color depth and try again". I was able to watch DVDs fine with the same default settings, I have tried multiple DVDs and it still happens, nothing has changed on my system. Can any body tell me what i need to do in order to get rid of the above issue? Any kind of help on the above issue would be appreciated.

Re: Error playing dvd create overlay failed

This is very likely a driver issue. You may want to try to reload your video driver and maybe uninstall and reinstall the dvd software that you use. Now, the problem is that once you have installed the new drivers, they have been cached on your local hard drive so without choosing the correct options when installing another driver version, your OS simply take the current driver files from it's DLL cache and reinstall them.

This error is your software's way of informing you that your system is unable to play DVD-Video because of a lack of video hardware resources. Usually dvd software will tell you that your settings are to low not to high. Check the properties of your video card /driver to make sure that direct draw is supported. If not then most likely you don't have the proper video driver loaded.

This issue occurs because of a video solution limitation on the M350WVN and M305CRV notebook computer. To workaround the problem, turn off extended desktop and watch the DVD on your mobile LCD screen. Download and install the latest drivers for your graphics card from the manufacturer's website and check you have the latest version of DirectX.