Thread: Is it illegal to copy DVD disc

Is it illegal to copy DVD disc

Is creating copies of DVD is illegal. I want some details on it. Because recently I heard in news that some bootleggers are caught while selling a DVD copies of movies. Every computer has a DVD burner and everyday multiple copies are created. Even I share songs and movies with my friend. So is it illegal to do this. If yes then what are the bad effects of this.

Re: Is it illegal to copy DVD disc

This subject is matter of controversy. That means DVD copy means it includes lot of things. Copying data, home videos, song, games, etc. There are prescribed law on this topic. Even today lots of people are confused that copying DVD is illegal or not. This is because of tons of free downloads on the internet. You should know your limitation while copying disc which can avoid you in breaking a law. Some media formats are fully owned and copyright protected. So you will need to understand the distribution of such media. The best example is movies. It takes lots of funds to make a movie. And bootleggers just copy then from original disc and create thousand copies. This copies are sold openly in the market. As the movie is copyright protected by the owner so he is only having the right to create copies not anyone.

The answer is yes also and no also. Because there are many media on the internet which gives you ample of free download and then you copy them on dvd's and share it. Now illegal means that you are selling those copied disc into the market and earning profit on that. You in danger if you copy anti pirated cd by any software or download free movies not from the official site but illegal sites like torrent. And if you do then you come under the US low of anti piracy act which can be dangerous. It most of the countries this thing is banned. But you can use the disc for storing your data, family videos and other personal details.

There are certain stages when it is illegal to copy a disc. Like commercial cinemas, games, songs, software, etc. For example Windows XP. If you do not have a original copy of Windows and you buy a cheap white color disc of Windows then it is illegal. It is a commercial product which is a sole property of the owner. And he on his consent sells you the product for your use not for distribution. Creating multiple copies without permission of the owner is illegal. Normally maximum users in the world do this for their personal use. Like you are creating you own collection of songs and movies. That is limited but still not legal. As far as concerned to personal use you can save yourself but if you come publicly then results can be bizarre.

Copyrighted Material is illegal to copy, so if you were to copy a movie, game, Audio CD etc.

Is it illegal to copy DVD disc

Yes it's totally illegal and if you are begin caught then you might be jailed for that case and nowadays it's very strict In India. If you are planning to see any movie i would recommend you to watch it out at theater or else you can buy the original once and this you will be some what costly but at the end original is good as compared to copied one.

If you are coping the DVDs for commercial purpose. And if you are selling it for making money, then it is illegal. But i don't think its illegal if you share it with your friend, just for fun and entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Abhiraj View Post
    If you are coping the DVDs for commercial purpose. And if you are selling it for making money, then it is illegal. But i don't think its illegal if you share it with your friend, just for fun and entertainment.
    It is still illegal whether you intend to make money or not!