Thread: Check Links reports orphan files that do exist

Check Links reports orphan files that do exist

I am facing an issue with my Dream weaver CS3 early everything was working fine but today when i ran a Check Links for Entire Current Local Site and it is reporting orphaned files that are definitely being linked to. I guess the problem is demonstrated by a SWF with 5 thumbnail images, each linking to a .htm file. All of the five html files are in the same folder and having same URL , but don't know why check Links reports say that files are orphans.

To check links within the current document you can use the below steps and you would be able to know that are there any orphan files in it or not.

1. Save the file to a location within your local Dreamweaver site.

2. Now select a file then goto Check Page and select Links.

3. If there is any Broken Links report appears that will appear in the Link Checker panel

4. In the Link Checker panel, select External Links from the Show pop-up menu to view another report.

5. Now the External Links report appears in the Link Checker panel

6. You can check for orphaned files when you check links across an entire site.

7. To save the report, click on Save Report button in the Link Checker panel.

Checking Links Site-Wide with Dreamweaver CS3

I have try to use the above steps too but it was not helpful for me. I don't know why it says that there are some orphans links where it shouldn't have it. If such kind of things should happen to all the files which are there in the same folder but it's a happening two files only which makes me very confused about it.

I think in your case the files are only linked by the swf. as per my knowledge CS3 9 does check SWFs for links and according to me this is a REAL bug as tested with CS3 9.0 Build 3481 and will cause you to delete files that are not orphaned and the same time i would recommend you to add only 2 files at the same time and have a check for the same or reinstalling dream weaver might solve your problem i know it's very foolish think but hope it works for you.