Thread: Hardisk shown in BIOS but not in Windows XP

Hardisk shown in BIOS but not in Windows XP

I have a 160 GB SATA hard disk in my computer. I am using Windows XP on it. I had bought a extra 250GB new hard disk for my computer. The problem here is that the hardisk is shown in BIOS but not in windows. When I open My computer I can only see the four partitions of 40 GB each. The new hard drive is not detected by windows. What do know to add up the new hard disk.

Re: Hardisk shown in BIOS but not in Windows XP

This usually does not happen. Do this connect the hard disk and put Windows Bootable CD. Just ensure that the Hardisk is detected by BIOS. Then when you restart windows will ask you to boot from disc. Press any key to continue. A blue screen will appear which load windows menu. Follow the screen instructions. At the end you will reach to the partition page. Now here you can see four partitions of your old drive and one new 250 GB hardisk raw partition. Go on that by a arrow key and hit enter. Then windows will ask you to format the drive. Choose either NTFS or FAT32 as per you convenience and create partition in that. Format the disc and if you want to create partition then you can create by the same procedure.

The hard drive is shown in BIOS but it is still not detected by Windows. Right click on My Computer and select on Properties. Then go to Hardware tab and click on Device Manager. Just see that you can see the Hard disk in the list under disk drives. If yes then right click on it and select properties. Choose drivers > update drivers. The second option you can try is formatting the disc by Disk Management. Click on Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tool > Computer Management. At the end you can see Disk Management. Click on the new attached hard drive and format it by right clicking on that.

The problem occurs if you are using Roxio Goback on your windows pc. Here the tool modifies the MBR of the hard disk and changes the type of partition. Because of this the new hard disk is inaccessible. To resolve this problem just remove the roxio tool and get updates from Symantec. Other thing try to access the drive from Disk Management or Device Manager.

my harddisk is show in BIOS but do not take BOOT or He dosent show the partitaion when i setup install in harddisk what i do.........

Quote Originally Posted by shael1992 View Post
    my harddisk is show in BIOS but do not take BOOT or He dosent show the partitaion when i setup install in harddisk what i do.........
    What is the make or model of the hard drive? Is it a Sata hard drive or an Ide Hard drive? How old is it? Was it working fine before? If it is a ide hard drive then you will have to set the correct jumper settings for it but if it is a sata hard drive then you just need to connect it via the sata cables on the motherboard.