Thread: Import AS400 formated text into InDesign?

Import AS400 formated text into InDesign?

I have upgraded my InDesign CS2 by installing the CS4. I am using an AS400 data base and i have imported translated text into a Quark 4.3 document many times. Then i used to open those translated text into a .qxd file and then in InDesign. I have never faced any kind of problem while doing this but since i have installed CS4, I am not having Quark 4.3 neither Quark 7.3. Is there any plug in which i can use to have my AS400 text back again?

Re: Import AS400 formated text into InDesign?

I suggest you to simply change the format of the file for which you have to change an extension of the file. I guess you should try giving the .txt extension and then check that the fonts are displayed or not. If there would not be any inbuilt encoding with the fonts then they would get converted and you would be able to view everything in the txt format.

I think the output from your AS/400 would not be in an ASCII encoding or an ANSI encoding. It would be in EBCDIC encoding which could not be understood by an Adobe InDesign. So changing an extension would not help you as there would not be any changes in the fonts which can be helpful for you. You should use some converter which helps you do the task which you wish to do.

If you want to open the file of the format QXD on your competing desktop then you have to use some third party Converter application which will convert that particular file in compatible format ans then you may open it with some other program on your system. Markzware's Q2ID will convert a QuarkXPress document into a file that is compatible with InDesign.