Thread: HELP!!! I deleted the wrong user

HELP!!! I deleted the wrong user

I did it. I confess. SENILITY RULES!!!

I bought a KillerNotebook laptop that was set up for gaming.(GREAT LAPTOPs. MAKES MY ALIENWARE WEEP) It had 2 startups..one gaming one normal. I left the one user account alone and just used it.

Today for some stupid reason I decided to add a second user in my name. Without thinking I then proceeded to delete the original user and rebooted. To my horror everything was gone!!!! I was back to being a virgin. However....
    When I boot into safe mode all his original icons etc are there. I am scared to try to log into the game mode in case I screw something else up. I really need to undelete the original user intact. How can I do that? There are 3 years of connections and tweaks in that user account. Without it I am just a tired ol' man with a killer laptop he can't use properly. I really would appreciate any help I can get. I am doing a complete backup now so I don't lose any more. Oh yeah, my backup was corrupted too. Thanks in advance.
    3's
    Grampa

Re: HELP!!! I deleted the wrong user

If this all happened recently, you could try using system restore to restore back to before this happened.

What is System Restore?
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...e79e51033.mspx

System Restore: frequently asked questions
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fb3f01033.mspx

Turn back time on your PC
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...cfdaf1033.mspx

Sorry, forgot to mention that I tried 12 restore points and none of them will work. Then found backup file was corrupt, found coffee cold, and cat crapped in my slipper. It is 4 am here and I am still trying to figure out what happened but thanks for the suggestion. 3's
    Grampa

Try the system restore, i can see the only way you can get your account back, otherwise no chance. If there is any other way, interested to know

There are recovery programs, That may get back some of your files. These are typically third party programs that are downloadable from the internet. I've always had decent luck with "PC Inspector File Recovery".

Try this solution. Right click on My Computer and the click on Mange. In the open window go to Local Users & Groups. Then select the user on the right side and right click on it. Select Properties and in the Member of tab select Add. If you do not find the use account here then try this another solution. Go to start menu > run > type cmd and press enter. Then give command ntdsutil and press enter. Now type authoritative restore and press enter. Then type restore database and hit enter.

Windows can restore your user profile as follows:

1. Log on to the computer with the user profile that you want to restore.
    2. Click Start, and then click Run.
    3. Type regedit, and then click OK.
    4. In Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    5. Locate your user profile folder.
    To locate your user profile folder, use one of the following options:
    • For each folder, click the folder, and then look for the ProfileImagePath value that contains the path to your user profile (such as %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\username).
      -or-
    • In Registry Editor, press CTRL+F to start the Find tool. Type your user name in the Find what box, click to select the Data check box under Look at, and then click Find.

6. After you locate the subkey folder for your user profile, double-click the ProfileImagePath value.
    7. In the Value data box, change the path so that it points to the profile folder that you are restoring, and then and click OK.
    8. Quit Registry Editor.

Thanks kattman
    I did as you suggested but when I got the the profilepath it was already correct so I had no changes to make in the path.
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Christian
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Lloyd Olson ....my new one
    Am I missing something?

The deleted user does not show up when I boot normally but is there in safe mode. There seems to be very little difference in the registry folders between the user I made and the original. Any other suggestions? Thanks. 3's
    Grampa

Thanks Raine
    I did as you suggested and guess what......I found the deleted profile there too. It seems to show up everywhere except on the login screen where I need it to be. It is like the user is only partway deleted. Any other suggestions? Thanks. 3's
    Grampa

You might have choosen not to delete the user's files. So the files and other data has not been affected. But there is no way I can see apart from the above suggestions to recover a deleted user. Create a new user and copy the files that you have with the old user's account to the new one...

Well I don't think its impossible to recover the deleted user profile. There must have been some way to recover those deleted profile unless you have overwritten those files.
    I hope you have taken the backup already. Now is it really important to get that user profile back? Can you try to make the same named user profile again? May be this will restore the deleted profile. Its just a guess & am not sure. Do it on your own risk.

What really mystifies me is the fact that the profile is there in safe mode but not in a regular bootup. All the connecting files are gone in a normal boot but they are all back in safe mode. This makes no sense. Why would system restore stop working at the same time? The restore points are all there and it goes through the motions of doing a restore but it never actually does it. ARRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Oh by the way I highly recommend these Killernotebooks. After using an Alienware for 2 years it is soooooo much faster and better in all respects. In spite of all the hype I would never recommend Alienware for anything except a boat anchor.

Thanks for all the suggestions though. 3's
    Grampa

PS anyone else have IE6 that keeps giving script errors and closing by itself?
    Last edited by Vinayak; 28-07-2009 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Link Removed. External Links Not allowed.

Johnny Knocksville Guest

grampa u need to get with the times lol update to ie8 !!!!