Thread: Cannot find scanpst.exe file

Cannot find scanpst.exe file

I am having some problems with my Outlook 2007 early everything was working fine but today when i try to delete some of my unwanted messages i was not able to delete them instead of that i got a message as there is some problem with c:\users\peter\appdata\local\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst for that you need to run scanpst.exe. I have try a lot to find out that file on my Vista but was not able to find it.

Dr. V Guest

I was able to find it by going into program files and over here try to search the files and you would be able to find it out but at the same time make sure you have select show all hidden files by going through Tools - - > Folder Options and then selecting Show all hidden files & folder and search you would be able to get it.

I have try to find out scanpst.exe in program files too but still was not able to find it is there any other way where i can delete my email which are being stored in Outlook and all the data which are being stored in.pst files are very important for me.

If you are not able to delete any files and at the same time you aren't able to find scanpst.exe file then i would suggest you to Repair your Outlook and hope this would solve your problem if you are still facing same issue then try to follow the below steps:-

1. Click on Start, and then goto Run.

2. If you are using Windows Vista, use the Start Search box.

3. Right-click on Control Folders, and then click Run as administrator.

4. If you are using Windows Vista, double-click Folder Options.

5. Under Hidden files and folders, make sure the Show hidden files and folders option is selected, and then click OK.

6. Click on Start, and then click Find or Search, depending on which version of Windows that you are running

7. In the search box, type Scanpst.exe. If you cannot find the Scanpst.exe file by using Find or Search, try to locate the file manually. Where the file is located depends on
      • disk drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12

8. Now double-click the Scanpst.exe file to open the program.

9. Now browse to locate the .pst file.

10. Click on Start and the Inbox Repair Tool scans the file and reports whether it found any errors and finally click on OK.

Re: Cannot find scanpst.exe file

I had the same problem with Outlook 2007. I couldn't find scanpst even with hidden files on. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled all options, but I HAD TO INSTALL the service packs, "office suite service pack 1" and "office suite service pack 2" for scanpst to show up. I believe it is in service pack 2 which vaguely hints to it in its description. It should show up in c:\program files\office 12 after installing above and rebooting.