Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

XviD codec vs DivX codec

Windows Software

Old 27-07-2009

XviD codec vs DivX codec

I want to know what is difference between XviD and DivX codec. Both of them I know that supports each other but which one is better to use. If I put any one from them, does they have any affects on the files. Now the question here is that among them which codec is better. What is the exact difference in decoding, encoding, file size, quality, compression, etc. Any suggestions really appreciated.

Old 27-07-2009

Re: XviD codec vs DivX codec

Here is list of what DivX gives you as compare to XviD codec. Lets begin with DivX. The advantages of the latest version of DivX is that it is has a great ability to control the final file size for eg shrinking a size of 700 MB cd. It includes more advanced compression like multi pass, bi directional enc, gmc, etc. Now lets see XviD. It has some ability like DivX to control the file size and it gives a better compression. But XviD is free and DivX needs a small fee.
Old 27-07-2009

XviD is a video codec which comes with MPEG4 standards. It uses the ASP features like b frames, global and quarter pixel motion. It is a primary competitor of DivX Pro codec. There is not big issue if you keep both or use any one. Both the codecs are capable to gives you a better compression quality and effect. But the exact difference I believe that XviD is free and comes under a open source license. While DivX is chargeable.
Old 27-07-2009

DivX is a branded product is not free. You can use a basic version of it as a free version. The codec is famous because it is termed as best in maintaining the quality of video segments in small size. It saves the visual quality of videos. Both DivX and XviD uses a MPEG 4 compress to give you a best quality video. If you want a advance codec to work with your videos then go for DivX Pro otherwise XviD is the proper for you.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , , ,