Thread: How to install DLA on Windows XP

How to install DLA on Windows XP

One of my cousin has bought a new HP Media Center PC and installed Windows Xp on the same. Now for copying some files to recordable CD and DVD discs we need DLA. Actually we both are not aware of DLA features and installing it. So could anyone of you please let me know where can i get DLA and how to install it on XP ? Help will be appreciated.

Re: How to install DLA on Windows XP

As you are not aware of DLA, i would like to make you know that DLA stands for Disk Letter Assignment and interferes with DVDXCopy or DVDXCopy Xpress accessing the dvd burner.utility that gives you the ability to copy files directly to recordable CD and DVD discs and you can drag-and-drop files to a disc and make the disc compatible with almost any Windows computer. In order to wok properly it has some minimum system requirement that is as follow:-

• Windows XP Home / Pro
    • Pentium 200 MHz (or faster) processor
    • 128 MB RAM
    • 10 MB Hard Disk Space
    • 16 bit color, 800x600 or better
    • Disc recorder drive capable of writing to CD or DVD media
    • Supports CD-R/RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, and DVD9 "Dual Layer" device support.

Disk Letter Assignment (DLA) is not freeware so you can download it from roxio.com at the price of $20.

I am using DLA from a long time and i have downloaded it for free from the HP. I don't know the whether the DLA download link still works but you can try it.In order to install it on your Xp system, just follow this simple steps:-

1. Once downloaded the utility click Open and then click Next.This will extract the files to a temporary folder on the hard drive.

2. Click Next on the Welcome to DLA window.

3. Click Yes to disable CD recording in Windows XP.

4. Read the license agreement and accept the terms if you agree.

5. Click Next to install DLA to the path shown in the install location.

6. Click Install .

7. Click Yes to restart the computer. DLA is installed.

8. Click Start , and then My Computer .

9. Right-click the name of recordable drive that you want to use (like DVD/CD-RW Drive), and select Use with DLA .

Thats it.. Do let me know if you have any further query.

Before using a disc for drive letter access, it must be formatted with the DLA software. This document details how format a CD-RW disc. Remember that Different versions of the DLA software have different steps for formatting a disc.You can format using quick or full formatting. Quick formatting can take up to a minute to perform and only works with CD-R (write-once) discs. Full formatting may take several hours but enables the full formatted space to be used many times on re-writable discs. Full formatting also allows for some error correction while a quick format does not.