Thread: What is avgsrx.exe?

What is avgsrx.exe?

Hi guys... Can anyone help me? I have a computer with Windows XP. Windows Firewall is turned On and AVG is the antivirus that i use. I have a problem and i guess it is caused by AVG itself. Whenever i play a resource consuming game, it works fine for sometime and then the graphics starts slowing down. It feels like the game is going on in slow motion and even voice starts to crack. After few seconds the game freezes and i have to end it from Task manager. In the task manager the only file while appears to be consuming the maximum memory is avgsrx.exe. It consumes about 69MB of memory. So i wanna know what is avgsrx.exe? Is it safe to end this process?

Re: What is avgsrx.exe?

avgsrx.exe is a file of AVG Antivirus. It is the main AVG Residential Shield Service which is responsible for scanning the processes that are currently running. If any process is running this service of AVG antivirus will scan the process to verify if it is not doing any suspicious activity....

Everytime i play a resource consuming game or run any program that needs more memory then the computer freezes as this process also takes more memory and its memory consumption keeps on increasing. Please help... Is it safe to disable this file from startup? Can i remove this from startup group of windows by msconfig utility? Please help guys...

In my opinion, you should not disable this service as this is the core service that AVG antivirus is dependent on. If you disable this service then, the AVG antivirus will not be able to automatically detect any threats that noramally it does.. But in the end the decision will be yours...