Thread: How can I disable HP Agent updates

How can I disable HP Agent updates

How can I disable HP Agent updates? It always starts up every time I log in to my HP computer which is running Windows XP since 2 years. It was not the issue before last week. I don't understand how this came up and also don't know how to fix this. Many times I tried to stop it via Windows Task Manager. Can you help me to disable it permanently?

Re: How can I disable HP Agent updates

HP agent basically runs in the background. It checks your computer for any updates and does so if required. You can use msconfig to turn it off permanently. Or else you can also uninstall it from the Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs section. It is not essential if you know how to check for any updates.

You can even kill this process by simply using ComboFix. Download this software on your computer desktop and run it from there to scan your computer. It will give you a list where you can choose which process to kill and at what moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunilla View Post
    HP agent basically runs in the background. It checks your computer for any updates and does so if required. You can use msconfig to turn it off permanently. Or else you can also uninstall it from the Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs section. It is not essential if you know how to check for any updates.
    Only turning off HP agent would not solve the issue. You will have to do the registry cleaning as well for the changes to take effect. Or else it is better to remove it rather than just disabling it from msconfig.