Thread: How to delete a file through command prompt ?

How to delete a file through command prompt ?

I try to delete file from desktop but it still it display on my computer. Error deleting file or folder Can not delete file: the file specified verify that the path and file name specified are correct.

Now i want to try to delete from command prompt. Is anyone know how delete a file through command prompt ?

Thanks

Re: How to delete a file through command prompt ?

Click "Start - Run and type" cmd "to open a command prompt window.

Navigate to the directory where the "undeletable" file, with 'cd' command. Ie cd c: \ Documents and Settings \ My Documents \ undeletablefilename.

Use the 'del' command to delete the file. Ie del 'undeletablefilename'.

Restart your computer.

Open a Command Prompt window
    - Type CD \
    (Visit the root of the drive)
    - If the file containing the page that is on C:, go to the drive the file: eg
    - Type E:
    - Type CD <<folder name>>
    (to go to the file)
    - Type DIR / X
    (for a list of files with the center said the name 'short name')
    This name is usually 1 or ~ ~ 2 at the end

This name should be used with the suppression file:
    DEL <<file name>>

A few other very useful commands that you might have to end with are listed below:

Chkdsk - Checks a disk or a floppy disk for file system integrity.
    Copy - Copies files from one place to another. The aim of the current directory by default. If there are multiple source files, the destination directory, otherwise you get an error message.
    Rk - Compares two files or groups of files and displays the differences between them
    Fdisk - manipulate disk partition tables. After starting from the command line, it displays a menu from which various partitioning operations.
    Format - Delete all files on the hard drive and format it for MS-DOS. Use primarily for formatting floppy disks or other removable media.
    Scandisk - Diagnostic Disk Utility, which is a replacement for the CHKDSK utility.
    SFC - System File Checker - Scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with the correct file versions.

I had the same problem, a *. avi file, I was not able to remove file. I followed the advice given above answers, open the DOS prompt, type "del filename".

I locked my file with Folder Lock Software.
    Now I can't delete (even can't open the file using the software) the file. Is there any solution to delete the file using command prompt or any other procedure. Plz a prompt reply is required

Quote Originally Posted by mrupom View Post
    I locked my file with Folder Lock Software.
    Now I can't delete (even can't open the file using the software) the file. Is there any solution to delete the file using command prompt or any other procedure. Plz a prompt reply is required
    Download a tool from Krojam Soft by searching it from google that will help you to delete that particular locked file, it also deletes files/folders with long path using File / Folder Clean-Up Tool (Path too long). Key features:
    • Delete files and folder with long paths
    • Ability to delete files from mapped network folders
    • Copy files avoiding "The filename you specified is invalid or too long. Specify a different filename" error

Folder Lock Software not Running & Can't Delete the Locked Files

I am using the Folder Lock Version 5.2.6 & I know the lock password. My folder lock software is not running (Error Message: Windows can't access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item). I can't delete the locked folder unless the Folder Lock Software runs. Please give any solution asap.

Re: Folder Lock Software not Running & Can't Delete the Locked Files

Quote Originally Posted by mrupom View Post
    I am using the Folder Lock Version 5.2.6 & I know the lock password. My folder lock software is not running (Error Message: Windows can't access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item). I can't delete the locked folder unless the Folder Lock Software runs. Please give any solution asap.
    Alright, so you mean to say that you know the password but its just the Folder Lock software that is not working properly. So, havent you tried to uninstall and reinstall the Folder Lock software and checked after that if you can put the password and unlock the file? If you havent so, they try it and let us know the results.

I need to delete a file on a shared folder on a network. The tricky part is that it has restricted permissions preventing this. Is there a way to delete it with out a program using cmd prompt. If so, how would I find the path to the networked file?