Thread: How to troubleshoot VMware snapshot ESX Server

How to troubleshoot VMware snapshot ESX Server

I have a production server that crashed due to disk space issues on the local VM datastore. I heard that Snapshots are great for development and testing, but managing them over time can become just an outright nightmare. before knowing about this, I have attempt to claw back some space I deleted a snapshot from another production machine on the same datastore. I have help from you guys about How do I monitor what is going on and Is there any other way I can rescue this situation without corrupting one or the other virtual servers.

Re: How to troubleshoot VMware snapshot ESX Server

A snapshot is a picture of your system at the time the snapshot is taken. a snapshot of virtual machine is a saving of its current state which provides a way how to return from a future state to the saved states, Trying to find out which VMs have snapshots can be challenging. There is no centralized way to do this built into the VMware Infrastructure Client or VirtualCenter, so you should periodically check your ESX servers for old snapshots that need to be deleted. Have you ever installed a new program you downloaded and it crashed your machine or the file sharing software that fills your system with adware?

A snapshot is a picture of your system at the time the snapshot is taken. The snapshot of virtual machine is able to keep its memory state, its settings state and its disk state. The VMware configuration for that virtual machine and the BIOS configuration are also saved when you take a snapshot.

Snapshots can help with patch management of virtual machines. VMware Server offers only the ability to take a single snapshot. RDP connections are available in two modes for Windows Core servers: (1) only allowing other Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista connections or (2) permitting Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Vista connections.With snapshots, you can save the state of your virtual system BEFORE you make risky changes like installing applications, adding a new patch, or making a configuration change.