Thread: Boot magic error

Boot magic error

I have a problem and need some help. I hope I am posting this in the right place. I have a compaq presario model sr5202hm running windows vista and I was trying to put 2 operating systems on it. I used easeus partition master 4.0 on it and the disk partitioned fine. I loaded powerquest boot magic to select the operating system I want. There was a problem with the second operating system so I took it off. I have deleted the extra partition and formated it.
    The problem I have now is when I start the computer It goes to a boot magic error even though boot magic is not on this computer anymore. The error is couldn't find btmagic.img then it says press any key. I guess the boot magic info must be in the boot sector. How can I get the boot magic info off of the disk?
    I did manage to copy the restore partition to 2 dvds and the restore partition is in tact but when I press f11 at startup it just goes to the boot magic error.
    I tried to put the dvd with restore image in the dvd drive but it is not bootable.
    I hope this is enough information.

Re: Boot magic error

Normally the third party software bootmagic is still in your windows mbr. Mbr is a hard disk file which stores up boot records. If it corrupted or engaged the you will receive boot up errors plus the bootable disc will not load. You will need to fix your mbr. To do this first in your computer go to start menu > run and type regedit. Then look for boot magic entries and delete them. If you system boots up properly then after boot up insert your windows vista bootable disc and select the repair option. Otherwise you have install vista again by clicking the install option from menu.

Re: Boot magic error

You will need to use BCDEdit. This application will allow you to remove the unwanted entry from the boot sector. But you need to log into windows first. If you cannot do that, try to repair Windows from your Windows bootable disc. Also see these links :
    How to change dual boot order?
    Editing Boot.ini in Vista Ultimate