Thread: How to create shortcut by using cmd

How to create shortcut by using cmd

Everyone is familiar with the windows command prompt tool. I want to know the commands by which I can create shortcuts directly on the desktop. What are the commands that can create a shortcut on the desktop. What are the other most useful commands that I can try in cmd. And other I want to know that the same is possible by notepade also. Please list some command lines and the procedure to create a shortcut file from notepad. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to create shortcut by using cmd

I will list you some solution that is used at system level in windows. By using the runas command you can create a short cut directly on the desktop. To do this right click on desktop and select new > shortcut. Then type the below locations :
    • runas /user:ComputerName\administrator cmd - It is used to see administrative credentials
    • runas /user:ComputerName\administrator "mmc %windir%\system32\compmgmt.msc" -- Use to manage a computer by administrative credentials.

When you will run the shortcut from the desktop then it will ask for your windows administrative password.

To create the shortcut for your desired application via command prompt just follow the listed instructions. Shortcuts are .ink files. So if you create a ink file of any application it act as a application launcher. The command for this is - shortcut -t "c:\program files\counterstrike\cs.exe" -n "counterstrike.lnk" -i "c:\program files\counterstrikeicon\icon1.ico" -x 0 -d "d:\cs\image" .See the command carefully. The first part it the location of software and then the second part you assign an icon image to the application which is located in the d drive.

There are some command utilities in cmd that is useful for multiple purposes. Like shutting down the system. Just type shutdown -s. In the same way -a at the ends means to stop shutdown, -r means to restart, -m\\computername is to shut down a remote computer and -l to log off the same. For more detail just type shutdown /? and hit enter. Then you can use sfc /scannow for scanning errors in windows and chkdsk to repair a hardrive. In note pad you will need to give the location of application and save the file with extension .exe.