Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows explorer has stopped working

Exclamation windows explorer has stopped working

I keep getting the "windows explorer has stopped working.... windows explorer restarting message, BUT
    it is only when I open a single folder. the problem as far as I can tell is only affecting one folder. I tried scanning the folder with AVG (most recent version) but comes up with no threats found. my previous anti-virus software(kaspersky) ended and I did not know it so my computer has probably been protection free for a day or two. my problem report reads as follows:
    Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Explorer.EXE
    Application Version: 6.0.6001.18164
    Application Timestamp: 4907e791
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_cb42
    Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4791adec
    Exception Code: c0000374
    Exception Offset: 00000000000a6e97
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: cb42
    Additional Information 2: c49fb0b91cda2caf27342151f6047f70
    Additional Information 3: 0c17
    Additional Information 4: 0352a0efc77e408ce75de8bbd432f38c

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 5031782

any help that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated
    sincerely
    Paul
    email: magnanpt01@sunyjcc.edu

bpatton Guest

Re: windows explorer has stopped working

Why don't you use firefox its safer and faster

Tylon Foxx Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bpatton View Post
    Why don't you use firefox its safer and faster
    he's not talking about Internet Explorer, but the Windows manage sytem in Windows, Explorer.exe (internet Explorer is named iexplore.exe).

magnanpt01: If you keep getting this failure under certain conditions (ie. launching a program or closing one, you can make sure to avert the problem by uninstalling/reinstalling the program that causes the problem.

if it happens under heavy CPU load only, it might be an overclocking or a temperature problem. CPUs tend to get unstable before reaching the temperature where the temperature failsafe shuts the computer off (usually 72 degrees C). Make sure to reset to stock settings or add better cooling.

If none of the above apply to you, and explorer.exe randomly crashes for no reason at all, them make an anivirus and antispyware scan to rule that out.

If nothing works, you'll be looking at a reinstall of windows.

I actually reinstalled windows a couple weeks ago, everything has been working great, but it just started doing this. I ran AVG on the folder alone and the whole computer it came up with nothing. It is not a certain application, it is one folder. It is a folder full of media, music, movies, etc. it has been fine up until today. that one folder is the only thing that makes it do it. I can go to anything else and it is fine, that is why i originally thought i may have got a virus or something, but after running AVG it says it and my whole computer are fine. I have never seen this before. I just went to open the folder to watch a movie today and all of a sudden it just keeps crashing, but ONLY ON THAT ONE FOLDER??? I am so confused

oh and I have a laptop. It is a gateway P-7811 FX Intel core 2 duo P8400@ 2.26 mhz 500GB 7200RPM hd, 4GB DDR3 1066 ram, NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS, Windows vista home premium 64bit

Since it specifically occurs in one particular folder, I think it may be a virus issue. Try to scan and run your Anti-Virus program on that particualr drive exclusively in order to detect any threats in that folder. Use powerful and updated Anti-Virus program.

I got similar problem with my drive before. It unable to burn CD but i tried to update the firmware of that drive and that works but here for you the problem can be regarding harddisk bad sectors so check for bad sector also run repair console using xp bootable disk using chkdsk command

According to me you should try to do a System Restore in order to rollback to a date before this error start happening. At least you'd be able to use your computer properly. Afterwards you need try to update your system.

Tylon Foxx Guest

as a rule of thumb, there can't be viruses in music, movie files or pictures. (hackers never do this because it's too easy to spot, and you can't get hardware level access that way on NT-based OSes)

It could very well be a bad sector problem or a bad allocation problem, which can be fixed with chkdsk.

do a chkdsk on the drive where the folder resides, but if that doesn't help, try a system restore.

The last option would be to reinstall windows or move the folder somehow to another location (ie. through a linux live CD)

how do I run chkdisc? I have vista, not XP. do you mean defragment? or is there a program I need to download?

Tylon Foxx Guest

Quote Originally Posted by magnanpt01 View Post
    how do I run chkdisc? I have vista, not XP. do you mean defragment? or is there a program I need to download?
    oh no, since your explorer doesn't crash unless you access the folder, you can still access "Computer", right?

if you can access "(My) Computer" without Explorer crashing and burning, you can right-click on the drive/partition where the folder resides and choose "properties"
    In the top of the properties window, there is a pane named "Tools"

In the "tools" panel, there will be a button labeled "check now" (if UAC is enabled, it will have a small shield icon on it as well)
    Wait for the process to finish. It will usually choke on this because it can't check Windows files (usually happens with C:, might happen with other drives in the system as well). If it does, there will be a box about you being able to reboot the computer. Click "Reboot" or "Yes" to this.

the computer will then reboot and run the disk-checking utility. Also, it will attempt to move and fix any files that have been partially corrupted due to bad sectors.

if the above doesn't work, boot the Vista DVD and enter the repair section ("Repair your Windows Installation") and enter the command prompt once it comes up. Once you're in the console, navigate to the C: drive by entering "C:" (sans quotes) or the drive where the folder resides (eg. D then type in:

chkdsk /p /r

/p = checks the disk thoroughly for errors
    /r = attempts to restore damaged data and data from bad sectors

now, this will take some time, so grab a cup of coffee and pray to whatever god you beleive in

it looks like file corrupted or damaged. try to repair or replace it.

i would say this has nothing to do with the partition but certain files.

try this, insert your os cd, click on start, locate run, type cmd, and hit enter. type sfc/scannow and hit enter.

good luck.

insert bootable windows disk and boot from that disk , after configuring windows will display installation menu there press 'R' for recovery console then black screen with some command there press 1 and then enter now that will ask for password press enter now type here CHKDSK and enter another option boot from safe mode go to to that drive property select tool tab click on scan disk to check now and scan with click on box that tell you for automatic fix error and perform surface scan

You may use the following Windows shortcut key + R, then type cmd, and then write -> sfc /scannow and check what you get their.

Your problem sounds like a virus or spyware to me. I have come across to the issue, but not seemed to be mentioned anywhere. And did you tried out a clean install before (I think) and it went away but is now back it is likely something you have not installed properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast