Thread: Vista the action cannot be completed because the folder is open

Vista the action cannot be completed because the folder is open

I have an emachine with Windows Vista as my operating system. I just backed up all my pictures to an outside drive and I found one folder that I thought was empty. When I try to delete it I get this "action cannot be completed because the folder is open in another program", So how do I find out what other program the folder is open in, and close the folder?

Re: Vista the action cannot be completed because the folder is open

Close all applications that are running and then try to rename the folder.This problem occurs when you have started the same application in to application where it is capable on running only at a time. You may have some processes running in the background that are accessing this folder and those too will need to be closed.

Open Task Manager, kill explorer.exe on the processes tab, then restart it
    from the applications tab (new task), then try deleting the file. Simply try restarting you computeror unplug any cameras, printers, scanners etc... go to the classic view of the control panel, open up windows defender, go to tools, click on software explorer, where it says category choose start up programs and disable everything that is not by microsoft or anything that might not be using the folder, try restarting your computer and then delete the folder.

Renamed one of the RemoteKeys.exe.manifest folders and then easily could delete both. If this does not work right-click the folder go to the security tab click on "advanced" you will get a new window, click on the owner tab, click on edit, where it says change owner to choose your profile and check the box that says "replace owner on subco..." Try rebooting the machine. Maybe that'll kill the conection.