Thread: oobeinfo.ini

oobeinfo.ini

I am a new user to this forum & Please Help its urgent... I am using Windows XP and is facing a problem with my Windows XP SP3. Actually I don't know why it i giving me this error??? But this error came after i upgraded from SP2 to SP3... Does anyone know what is the problem with my computer???

Re: oobeinfo.ini

Use the Oobeinfo.ini file to change the following settings :

• The option to preserve the OEM Pre-Activation status

• The option to prevent the Out of Box Experience (OOBE) Wizard from changing the time zone

• The option to configure settings for user registration

• The option to put reminders on the desktop for registration and for the Internet service provider (ISP) sign-up offer

• The option to configure the settings for dial-up networking that are used when the system collects user registration information

Making changes to the OOBEinfo.ini file

OEM pre-activation can be preserved if changes are made to the OOBEinfo.ini file by ensuring that the %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\oobe\oobeinfo.ini file contains the information shown below but substituting the appropriate product key.

[Version]
    ProductKey =”XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX”

Case : This issue occurs because Windows XP SP3 replaces the Oobeinfo.ini file in the %windir%\system32\oobe directory.

Solution : To resolve this issue and to keep any changes that you have made to the Oobeinfo.ini file, follow these steps when you upgrade to Windows XP SP3:

1. Make a backup copy of the existing Oobeinfo.ini file that contains your custom settings. This file is located in the %windir%\system32\oobe directory.

2. Install Windows XP SP3.

3. Copy the Oobeinfo.ini file that you backed up in step 1 to the %windir%\system32\oobe directory.