Thread: Missing Orphan file in Windows XP

Missing Orphan file in Windows XP

I am having Windows XP installed in my computer & is using since 4 years. From few days i am facing a problem with a file which windows says "CHDSK-orphaned file missing" Does anyone know what this file is & how to recover it???

Re: Missing Orphan file in Windows XP

What Are Orphaned Files and How Do You Identify Them?

An orphaned file is a file in a web that is not linked to any other file in the web. An orphaned file can be any type of file, such as an HTML document, an image, or a binary data file.

An orphaned file is not an unlinked file. There may be multiple links among a whole web of orphaned files. What makes a file an orphaned file is that by following any and all hyperlinks present in the home page, and then following any and all hyperlinks from all subsequent link levels reached from the home page, the orphaned file is not reachable.

I think it is low-level error at NTFS map. First try to make a backup of the data partition.

1. Running the Command Prompt chkdsk c: / f / r Let chksdk run more, can still resolve the issue. While chkdsk is running an error in Event Viewer - Application and Event Viewer - System?

2. Try a program of site-HDD manufacturer's website. It is possible to have bad links and then you too can be great, except for a format and hope that the bad-will be isolated. Data can be lost in large part to recover after a format.

Firstly try to recover it by repairing the Windows XP or if there is no recover possible then i will suggest you to format the whole Windows XP partition. This is the last option if any thing given not work then only try to format it. Also make sure before formatting it don't forget to take backup...! I am giving the link of similar threads made here... Just have a look may find your solution there...!

Recovering orphaned file into directory file
    Removing orphan DC / Domains