Thread: Missing iTunes.msi file

Missing iTunes.msi file

When I try to update itunes my windows vista system always ask for the previous itunes.msi. There are some itunes.msi file saved in my itunes folder. Does anyone know what causes this issue and how to fix it?Any help will be extremely appreciated.

Re: Missing iTunes.msi file

Do you get the message when starting iTunes? Sounds like some important files/registry keys have been deleted.Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility > Install the program (MS Office not required!) > Run the program from Start->All Programs->Windows Install Cleanup Utility > Click on iTunes, and then click the “Remove” button > Run the iTunes installer!

Do you have iTunes installed on your computer. Seems to be asking for the location of the iTunes install files. Its a file, not a folder. iTunes.msi files are installation scripts, using built in components with Windows.

Have you tried installing the latest version of itunes? Don't run the itunes installer from apple, download it first to your harddrive then run the installer and Before you start installation remove first one, make sure you delete the c:\program files\itunes folder first. As always turn off your firewall & virus before launching the install.

hey everyone what i did is after uninstalling all of itunes stuff that it would let me from the add and remove in the control panel (windows xp pro)
    1. iTunes
    2. QuickTime
    3. Apple Software Update
    4. Apple Mobile Device Support
    5. Bonjour
    6. Apple Application Support
    (if it asks for the msi to remove you can get it from the folder you make for itunes later)
    i downloaded the newest version of itunes then extracted it useing winzip into a folder , then when it asks for the msi file you point it to the folder you just extracted the itunes to
    (i put the folder on my desk top so not to lose it , i also went into my programs and there wer some files left over from itunes i pulled them out , i saved them in a different folder incase i need them down the road , everything seems to be working fine now , my phone linked rite up and it had everything it had befor , hope this helps ,
    BTW version 9 of itunes scattered 278gigs of my music across my 2 hard drives , anyone know how to pull it back into the folders ?