Thread: How to run Inbox scanpst in Outlook

How to run Inbox scanpst in Outlook

I had installed Windows Xp along with Microsoft Outlook on my system. I would like to know that how can i run inbox scanpst utility on my Outlook. Can any body provide me the correct information on inbox scanpst? Kindly provide me the correct information on the above issue.

Re: How to run Inbox scanpst in Outlook

To understand how to use scanpst.exe, Microsoft's Inbox Repair Tool for Outlook, you first need to understand a bit about Outlook and how it stores your personal information. The Inbox Repair tool (Scanpst.exe) is designed to help repair problems that are associated with personal folder (.pst) files. The Inbox Repair tool is included on the first Microsoft Office CD-ROM.

To run the Inbox Repair Tool, follow these steps:

1. Exit Outlook.
    2. Make sure that the Show hidden files and folders option is enabled in your folder options. The Scanpst.exe is a hidden file on your computer, and you might be unable to locate it if this setting is not enabled. To check this setting, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    Note If you are using Windows Vista, use the Start Search box.
    2. Type Control Folders, and then click OK.
    Note If you are using Windows Vista, right-click Control Folders, and then click Run as administrator.
    3. If you are using Windows Vista, double-click Folder Options.
    4. Click the View tab.
    5. Under Hidden files and folders, make sure the Show hidden files and folders option is selected, and then click OK.
    3. Click Start, and then click Find or Search, depending on which version of Windows that you are running.
    4. In the search box, type Scanpst.exe. If you cannot find the Scanpst.exe file by using Find or Search, try to locate the file manually. Check the following locations for the file. Where the file is located depends on which version of Windows you are using:
    • disk drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12
    • disk drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\
    • disk drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\NT
    • disk drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033
    • disk drive:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
    • disk drive:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\
    • disk drive:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033

5. Double-click the Scanpst.exe file to open the program.
    6. Click Browse to locate the .pst file.
    • Windows XP:-disk drive:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Note If your operating system is not listed or if you cannot find the file, see the Help provided with Outlook.
    7. Click Start. The Inbox Repair Tool scans the file and reports whether it found any errors.
    8. Click OK.

Microsoft's solution to the problem of pst file corruption has been to provide a free pst repair program called the Outlook Inbox Repair Tool (also known as Scanpst). ScanPst is located under C:\Program Files\Common Files\System; in there, there is a folder named either "MSMAPI" or "MAPI". Under this folder you'll see a folder with a numerical name such as 1033. So, the complete path for ScanPst looks like the following:C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\

Notice, however, there will be two files with similar names - ScanPst.exe and ScanOst.exe. At the moment we only deal with the ScanPst.exe.

If you are unable to locate ScanPst by just looking into the folders, use Windows Search instead

1. Click Start to open Windows start menu
    2. Select Search, then click Files and Folders
    3. Type in "ScanPst.exe" without quotes, click Find.

jessicawill Guest

Arrow Re: How to run Inbox scanpst in Outlook

This tool is located in your System only. The folder path for your Windows Vista Operating System is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office 12. From here you can easily locate your scan pst tool and than can work with it efficiently in scanning all the pst files. I too had make use of this scanning utility and get repaired my all damaged pst files. This works on its own. You just need to click on run option and than load all those pst files which needs to get scanned. Soon your pst files will get recovered.

I found the article to be quite useful but my issues was not solved … And finally after doing a lot of research i manage to to find how to repair PST… All i do was go to the
    scanpst.exe location. In Windows XP you can find it under:
    C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

In Windows Vista you can find it under:
    C:\Users\…\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Double click on the file and your issues was resolved.

Hope my post will help many !

Thanks