Thread: Can audacity record a song being played from the internet?

Can audacity record a song being played from the internet?

Can any one tell me how can i record the songs & save them as mp3's while listening to them online & without a mic (if possible) using a software Recording with Audacity worked well for me until recent weeks when it just started stopping in the middle of recording, whether it was recording from a CD, streaming from the radio or from a music file being played on the PC.

Re: Can audacity record a song being played from the internet?

With most Windows and Linux audio devices, it is possible to record whatever sound the computer is currently playing, including internet radio streams. Now run My Computer > C: > Properties > Tools > Error Check and Defragment. Audacity has to do everything in real time and it can't go plowing through a large, but messy hard drive looking for free space. The space has to be contiguous and absolutely error free. The Defrag display can't be covered in red bars.

The method described here works only with certain sound cards. Start Audacity.Audacity is available free of charge, and can be used to record whatever is coming off of your PC’s sound board. In the main window, near the top on one of the toolbars, you will find a drop down box with a variety of inputs that you can record from. When you press the Record button, Audacity will capture whatever sound is playing on your computer's speakers. Select the "What U Hear" (or anything similarly named) input. I'm told that not all sound cards have this, and that on some sound cards, the equivalent input to select is "Stereo Mix", "Wave" or "Wave Out".

At the top right of the program is a drop down list. Click the downwards pointing arrow and select (depending on the sound card) "stereo mix" or "what you hear". Click the record button and anything playing on the drive will be recorded. On Windows, if you don't have a “Wave Out” or “Stereo Mix” option, or if it won't record, go to the system Control Panel and try to enable this option there.