Thread: How to back up aim away messages

How to back up aim away messages

I have installed AIM software on my windows xp machine. I can't back up AIM away messages. Whenever i disconnected due to internet problem, AIM will sign off and away message will not go back up. Anyone know procedure or trick to backup AIM away messages?

Re: How to back up aim away messages

The away messages for each screen name are stored in the Windows Registry. To back up your aim away messages or copy them to a different computer, you need to export the appropriate registry "key" into a file. To restore the Away messages to the new machine, double-click on the
    the exported file on the new machine.

To export the registry key, follow these steps:

1. Exit AIM
    2. From the Start menu, launch "regedit" from the Run dialog box.
    3. Browse to the following registry key:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\America Online\AOL Instant Messenger (TM)\CurrentVersion\Users\YOUR_SCREEN_NAME\IAmGoneList 4. Left-click once on "IAmGoneList".
    5. From the "Registry" pulldown menu, choose the "Export Registry File" menu item.
    6. "The Export Registry File" dialog that appears, type the filename that you want to save the file as. Also, make sure that in "the Export range" section of the dialog, in "the Selected branch" option is chosen.
    7. Click on Save to finish exporting the registry key.

Double-click on the .REG file that you saved, and the Away messages will be imported into your screen name on the other machine.

Check this thread for more information : Using AIM on Windows

Chime Away 1.0.1 description : Chime Away! is a tiny program that automatically downloads and sets new away messages for Aol Instant Messenger every minute.You can select messages from tons of categories like School, Shower, Food, Sleep, and Work etc. Chime Away! also lets you cycle through your own AIM away messages, and you can specify which messages to use by entering the keywords.

Download Chime Away 1.0.1

When your internet connection breaks aim away messages stored in windows registry. You can take back up of that message by copying that registry in to file.