Thread: How to Modify Windows Vista Host file

How to Modify Windows Vista Host file

I got some problem in my computer due to malware attack. I had cleared everything now and want to modify the host file in windows vista. I am ruining a small computer network with 6 pc. Here I want the steps to edit the host file. To ensure that my system is secure and it is not altered by the malware. I want to edit the file. If I found I will entirely change the file. Help needed.

Re: How to Modify Windows Vista Host file

It is true that malware corrupts the host file which redirect you users to other pages. See the instruction to completely change the host file. First log in as a administrator. Then got to Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories. Open Notepad. Go to file menu and click on open. Then navigate to the following path - C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc. Form the below file type box select All files. Click on the host file > open. Make your necessary changes and then save the file.

The malware programs alter your host file by entering your homepage and add up a false ip address. Then you will be automatically redirected to some unknown pages. It is called browser hijacking. You can correct it by SendTo method. First create a SenTo shortcut on the desktop. To do this navigate to this path :\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo. Then go start menu and click on Run. Type shell:sendto and click ok. Right click and select New > shortcut. Then click on browse and go to Windows\System32\drivers\etc\host. Name the short cut as update host. Open the file and modify it. This short cut can be used at anytime for editing.

The windows host file is located in the windows driver folder. See the etc folder and press h from keyboard. You can see your host file there. Make sure that you are logged in as administrator. The only the UAC in windows vista will allow you to edit the file. Double click on the file and select notepad. Check out for the suspicious ip addresses and delete them.