Thread: Disk Cleanup hangs on Compress Old Files

Disk Cleanup hangs on Compress Old Files

I am running windows xp in my computer with 512 mb of RAM. When I run windows Disk Cleanup utility then it freezes up at compress old files. I then kill the process by hitting ctrl + alt + del. Even after restart the same problem occurred. How to resolve this issue. Please Help.

Re: Disk Cleanup hangs on Compress Old Files

This occur because may be the disk cleanup utility tries to calculate the size of a file. The file may be too large or corrupted. Wait for some minutes and see if is going further or not. Otherwise the simple solution for this just download a fix tool form the attachment and run it. It will re-install disk cleanup and fix the issue out.

To fix up the issue you will need to edit windows registry editor. Click on Start Menu > Run and type regedit. Then in the resulting window go to File > Export. Save the file in desired location so that you can restore it back in case of any instability. Then Navigate to the following option - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{B50F5260-0C21-11D2-AB56-00A0C9082678}. Then go to the Edit Meny and select Delete > Yes. Quit the editor and restart your system.

Disk cleanup is an handy tool used to delete all temporary files and junk from your system. It is important to fix the disk cleanup utility otherwise the size of files will keep on increasing. The freezing of disk utility can be due to any corrupted or missing file. The corrupted files are generated due to improper installation and temp file. To troubleshoot this file first close all the programs and then click on Run in the start menu. Type %temp% and press enter. Manually delete all the files inside it. Then go to control panel and double click on Internet Option. Here click on Delete Cookies, files etc. Restart your system and see if the Diskcleanup is working.