Thread: Error 80040256 with Windows Media Player

Error 80040256 with Windows Media Player

I was trying to play some Video files on my Windows media player when i suddenly gave me error "Error 80040256. no audio hardware is available, or the hardware is not responding". before it was able to play MP3 files but after this error message it stops playing MP3s as well. My operating system is Windows Vista.

Is there any fix available for this ? If yes, please let me know. Thanks in advance .

Re: Error 80040256 with Windows Media Player

Error 80040256 means that either you have not installed any sound card, Or the sound card is not working as it should. So make sure you have it installed. If it is there than try to reinstall it and check the default devices.To do this follow these steps:

• Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

• Click Sound, and then click Playback.

• Make sure that the default devices are listed here.

WMP uses DirectSound to interface with the sound card, so you may download the latest version from the maker of your sound card. Also try to uninstall the Audio Controller and reboot the machine. Now see whether Windows automatically install the drivers for you or not. If not than you need to download the latest drivers for your sound card.

The cause of this error might be also because of any another program using your sound card, so it is not available for Windows Media Player to use.If your sound card is not working properly than just go through this step by step troubleshooting:-

• Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

• Click System, and then click Device Manager under Tasks.

• When you receive a prompt together with a User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

• Under Sound, video and games controller, make sure that the sound card is listed.

• Right-click the sound card, and then click Update Driver Software to install the latest driver.

Also try to turn down Hardware Acceleration and Reinstall DirectX.Visit the Web site of the sound card manufacturer to determine whether a newer version of the driver is available to download.

To test whether the sound is working correctly by using another program, Use another program different from Windows Media Player. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Entertainment, and then click Sound Recorder.If such programs are running, exit those programs.

Thanks buddy, i got the fix for the same error. The problem was due to some missing errors and hence the sound card was not working properly.

I appreciate your help. Keep it up !!