Thread: Microsoft Access 2007 Templates

Microsoft Access 2007 Templates

I have now got to Access 2007 from last couple of weeks, before i was using Access 2003.I came to know that Access 2007 template files are totally new file format based on the Open Packaging Convention which is also used by Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for the .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx extensions. What I want is to create and share this Access 2007 Template. Hope you guys might have idea of doing that. Please let me know.

Re: Microsoft Access 2007 Templates

In order to share these Access 2007 templates you need to download 2007 Access Developer Extensions. It provide packaging and deployment tools and licensing and distribution agreements to make it easier for developers to bring solutions to market. Whether you are working in a small business or a large enterprise, as a third-party or an internal developer, the Access 2007 Developer Extensions can facilitate the deployment and management of Access 2007 solutions.Access Developer Extensions adds a button to the Office menu which enables you to save databases as .accdt files.It includes:-

• Package Solution Wizard

• A wizard that creates a Windows Installer Package (MSI) to install your database and any supporting files and optionally includes the Access 2007 Runtime, or prompts the user to download the Access 2007 Runtime.

• Save As Template

• Enables you to create database templates (ACCDTs) that can be featured in the Access 2007 Getting Started screen.

• Source Code Control

• Integration with Microsoft Visual SourceSafe or other source code control systems to allow check-in/check-out of queries, forms, reports, macros, modules, and data. You can also see the differences that have been made to your checked out objects.

Access 2007 Database Templates are quite useful and easy. It will help you kick-start your database development.Each template creates a complete end-to-end solution that you can use either with no modification or customize to suit your needs.The definitive resource is The Rational Guide To Microsoft Office Access 2007 Templates by Zac Woodall, member of the Access development team with Microsoft.This guide comes included with lots of info about Access 2007 template, like :
    • Introducing Access 2007 Templates
    • Sharing Templates
    • Template File Anatomy
    • Template Collections
    • Enterprise Template Deployment
    • Generating Templates without Running Access
    • Integrating Templates with Add-Ins
    • Controlling User Experiences
    • Personalization
    • Design for SharePoint
    • Branding
    • Template Security
    • The ACCDT File Format
    • How Templates Are Used
    • Creating a Basic Template
    • Deciding to Build a Template
    • Refined Application Experiences
    • User-Customizable Applications

You can download this Guide for $16.

I think Access Developer Extensions is the best and the one way for sharing the Access 2007 Template. But it do not include the Property Scanner and the Custom Startup Wizard that were included in previous versions.It just make it easy to deploy and manage solutions built using Microsoft Access.