Thread: [BIOS] Delete password

[BIOS] Delete password

Hi
    I just bought a laptop brand Acer (Celeron CPU "designed for Windows XP" for TravelMate series model 230/280) with a Phoenix Bios, version 4.0. The CD is defective, I had to open the laptop to add a new drive. After reboot, unable to run the BIOS setup. The BIOS asking me for a password and I can not even get around to load the operating system (XP Media Center).
    I did a search on the net to clear the password, BIOS, making in turn the following operations:

• Remove the battery from the motherboard for half an hour. Without success, the password is always required. I redid the same operation by changing the positions of jumpers near the battery and still nothing!
    • Try to enter passwords proposed for Phoenix Bios whose password is lost (phoenix, PHOENIX, CMOS, BIOS, etc..)

Any idea on this. If you guys know how to recover it then please do post back.
    Last edited by Fragman; 22-12-2009 at 03:04 PM.

Re: [BIOS] Delete password

Hi
    Remove the battery from the motherboard for half an hour. Without success, the password is always required. I redid the same operation by changing the positions of jumpers near the battery and still nothing!
    It is quite normal! there is a password on your laptop is just for security reason! That would be too easy to remove the baterie to reset! Your bios is updated with a small battery which is fitted inside. You will find a CMOS battery just remove it for a few seconds and then try rebooting.

Hi
    When I am speaking of "battery", I implied the CMOS battery. In my laptop, it is embedded in a kind of blue insulating tape which come with 2 son after the terminal that connects to the motherboard. I was amazed that the pc starts anyway, both with the battery removed, and with the hard drive removed , to test the boot with a Linux boot floppy and Windows 98. It always asks me for a password.

Hello,
    The computer boots up even without a battery is normal, cons for the BIOS settings are probably distorted (processor speed, etc.). Without hard drive is normal as it starts, it is necessary for the operating system, not to start the BIOS. For the password, if you just buy your laptop, why you do not ask the password to acer support, this is what is more convenient I think.

Hi
    if you just buy your laptop, why you do not ask the password to acer support, this is what is more convenient I think.
    I have already asked them about this, but unfortunately even they do not have any idea about it. Even, I called there techinical executive, he told me that there is no such thing like password why they sell laptop. I think it is been locked somewhere, do you guys have any more ideas about it. Thanks in advance.

Hello
    Even I have a same kind of problem, is there any solution for this. In addition I am unable to boot the system from a floppy or CD drive (the latter being defective) since the last configuration included an order starting with the HDD 20 Gb. What can I do to boot into DOS mode and try the DOS debug command or try to start with a boot disk? Any advice on this.