Thread: Microsoft groove soft limitation on members in Workspace

Microsoft groove soft limitation on members in Workspace

Can anyone here please suggest me the limitation of Groove Advisor, I just keep adding users to override it but I need to understand the implications of working with a workspace that has many small files that change infrequently (most users read only/guest role). This is all because i saw that Folder Sharing workspace is 2GB and there is also no limit on the number of members, Can anyone point me to some reference information on this?

Re: Microsoft groove soft limitation on members in Workspace

The key is they are using low impact tools such as calendar and discussion. It’s a great read for those of you that are starting to explore Groove 2007. Fanatical has some good tips on keeping your space running smoothly. Now a Files tool can be low impact if the majority of the space members are not allowed to edit the files or if the files are smaller more binary types of files. For instance, if you have a 100 .txt files that are shared, the impact to everyone’s system and the network will be fairly low.

Well I think you hit on the variables for instability. Groove was designed for smaller short term collaborations with groups of 25 or under. That being said, I know of companies who use Groove spaces and have well over 100 members. Here are some of the key “hard” limits*: Maximum total File size in a SharePoint Files Tool: 1GB; Maximum total File and Folder count in a SharePoint Files Tool: 5,000; Meetings Tool limits text input to:Meeting title to 256 chars ;Meeting location to 256 chars; Action item names to 256 chars.

They are hard limits and cannot be changed. Spaces can have more than 100 members if they were created prior to Office Groove 2007.The first thing you should keep in mind is that everything with Groove is local. You data is kept locally on your computer and not on any server (excluding the relay server which delivers data to your local Groove accounts). So the portability of Groove could be keeping your account file on a pen drive or keeping archived spaces on a pen drive.