Thread: Where does ie default download to?

Where does ie default download to?

Where does ie default download to? I have Windows XP and i use internet Explorer. Whenever i download a file, after the downloads are completed i cannot find the downloaded files. I want to know where does the file go? Please help!

Re: Where does ie default download to?

Microsoft's Internet Explorer doesn't download any file automatically. It needs assistance of the user for download location. Everytime you click a link to trigger a download, IE intercepts it and asks the user for a download location where to save the file. Make sure you remember whick location you select. All the best!

I have not had that case. I downloaded a software which handles all the downloads i do with Internet Explorer. I don't get the Default Download Window of Internet Explorer, instead whenever i try to download any thing, this software detects it automatically and starts downloading on its own. It doesn't ask me where to download the files. Actually this software was downloaded by a friend of mine for faster download. So can anyone help me with this? Please help!

Hey! This is not any kind of problem. The software which you use for speeding downloads is known as download accelerator software. It may have a name too. Well this kind of software uses a specific download location. See in the 'My Documents' folder for any folder with the name as 'Downloads'. If it does not exist in my documents then it will be in root of "C:\" [C Drive]. Have fun!

sad Re: Where does ie default download to?

Hi, I just wondered, how can you change the default from C drive to the D drive? I mean this is after I downloaded something into the D drive. I just don't have enough space in my C drive, so when I tried downloading the game, it kept rooting back into the C drive. Any help? Really confused right now thanks.

To change the Internet Explorer default download folder you will have to edit the Windows Registry key. To do this click on Start Menu > Run. Then type Regedit and click on OK. First take a back up for windows registry file. So that incase of any error you can restore the old settings back. To do this click on File > Export. Save it in a proper folder where you can get back. Then navigate to the following path - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer. In the download directory at the right side right click on that. Click modify and in value data add the new path. D:\ is a example.

Thanks! I'm going to try it right now

Hey.

I fixed it to the D drive, but after installing it, when I click the installer, it still says 'I don't have enough space on my disk drive.' Do I have to edit the backup too?

Thanks a lot.

Check this post, might help you... Changing default download location in Windows XP