Thread: How to minimize Live Messenger to the system tray in Windows 7

How to minimize Live Messenger to the system tray in Windows 7

I heard this topic that Windows Live Messenger can be minimized to the System tray. Is that true ? If yes than its really a great feature, atleast for me. I am using Windows 7 and live messenger too. I would like to know how can i minimize it to the system tray of my Windows 7. Please let me know the steps to do the same. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to minimize Live Messenger to the system tray in Windows 7

In Windows 7 even if the messenger is minimized it remains in the taskbar. If you feel the taskbar packed with icons, you can sent to system tray minimize using the simple trick. To achieve this, the methods we use the Compatibility properties of the application using the old behavior for previous versions of Windows will tweak.

Here’s step-by-step how to make Windows Live Messenger to go directly to system tray:

• First of all close Windows Live Messenger completely by right-clicking on the icon and choosing Close window.

• You then need to go to the Start menu and find the program.

• In this case it's Start, All Programs, Windows Live, Windows Live Messenger.

• From here we are going to utilize the lovely Windows 7 right-click and select Properties.

• Switch to the Compatibility tab.Check the check box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for. This is the magical step that tricks Messenger into using the old behavior instead of the new Windows 7 mechanism.

• When you minimize Messenger’s main window now, it will silently minimize itself to the notifica*tion area again. If you cannot see the Messenger icon there, try unfolding the expanded view, using the arrow button pointing upwards.

Here is the simple process of doing so:-

• Click Start , then choose Computer.
    • Double click Local Disk ( C: )
    • Browse to Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger.
    • Right click the file msnmsgr.exe, and choose Properties from the appearing context menu.
    • Switch to the Compatibility tab.
    • Check the check box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for.
    • Open the drop down field, and choose Windows Vista
    • In the dialog box msnmsgr.exe Properties, click OK.
    • Close Windows Explorer, and start Messenger from the Start menu.

That's it! Now when you use Windows Live Messenger after applying these steps above starts, it is still in the taskbar as previously did show, but now when you by clicking "X" in top right corner closes, you will see that your tray of the system now with the somewhat blueish green man will be complete.

it is not in your other current applications and spelled icons on the bottom taskbar mix. Which means less clutter and enjoyable experience! This is a nice tip and from now onwards i would like messenger away without going to the system tray and close from there.