Thread: vsmon.exe eating my memory

vsmon.exe eating my memory

Hello

When I turn on my system it's working smoothly.but after some times it hardly changes it's behavior, drives me like crazy when I probed the task manager and it looks like vsmon.exe use up to 85 to 100% of my cpu time.Is this normal with Zone Alarm? Can I fix it or must i uninstall it and go with some other fire wall? .

need help...

Re: vsmon.exe eating my memory

VSMON is a program that can eat up to 100% of the CPU time you can stop the application by following this procedure

Open CONTROL PANEL> ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS> Open SERVICES
    locate the TRUEVECTOR INTERNET MONITOR Right click on it and select PROPERTIES,In the STARTUP TYPE drop down select MANUAL.

Restart your computer and enjoy

All right you can un install the program and go for a fresh installation..still problem then update it to latest version..Have you tried disabling Dynamic Execution Prevention in the BIOS ?

An error with your Zone Alarm driver loading
    have you add new protective software that may be conflicting with it, or recently update ZA? If it still continues you can always post new HijackThis and save the log files and post it here let me see ..

unsure Re: vsmon.exe eating my memory

This is ridiculous!!!

I´m using ZoneAlarm for a long time and really like the software since it's tools is easy to use and powerfull, BUT, Vsmon.exe is eating 320Mb of memory here...

320Mb of memory?

I think its hard to survive with it... It's something like: "Hey, what do you prefer... Installing an operating system and other 30 softwares you may use or, installing the ZoneAlarm and it's great Vsmon.exe process and nothing else?" You may have fun playing the MS Windows XP Games, and using the calculator... You can even use the NotePad to write some texts...

Any solution to this so we can keep using ZASS?

By the way, I'm using the latest version of ZASS 8.0.400.020
    Last edited by Henrique-S; 05-08-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Try this option. By this the vsmon.exe with use up a limited amount of memory so that your system resource can be free for the use of other software. For this you will have to back your windows registry file. Click on Start > Run > regedit. Then locate to the following path - Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsmon. In the right side double click on DependOnService. Now in Edit Multi String box you will see multiple values add W3SVC as a new string and click on ok. Restart your system.

services.exe program that is most of the time actually from microsoft. other times its a trojan.Unless you are using local clients that pop your mail to your PC, you don’t need Zone Alarm to monitor incoming email. Web-based services do that so go to command > msconfig > services > truevector internetmonitor (manufracture zone labs,LLC) uncheck it > apply > ok > reboot you problem must be solved now

vsmon.exe is a process associated with the ZoneAlarm firewall. It is used to monitor Internet traffic and generate alerts depending on the security rules configured by the user.File vsmon.exe is not a Windows system file. vsmon.exe is able to record inputs, hide itself, monitor applications.The program has no visible window. File vsmon.exe is a Verisign signed file. The file has a digital Signature. vsmon.exe is not a Windows core file.

cool Re: vsmon.exe eating my memory

Quote Originally Posted by Glenny View Post
    Try this option. By this the vsmon.exe with use up a limited amount of memory so that your system resource can be free for the use of other software. For this you will have to back your windows registry file. Click on Start > Run > regedit. Then locate to the following path - Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsmon. In the right side double click on DependOnService. Now in Edit Multi String box you will see multiple values add W3SVC as a new string and click on ok. Restart your system.
    I didn't tryed it yet, but it seems very nice!
    Could you please explain a bit more about it?
    Can I set the ammount of memory that it can 'eat'?
    How much memory could be set at no problems?

In the right side double click on DependOnService. Now in Edit Multi String box you will see multiple values add W3SVC as a new string and click on ok. Restart your system.
    Thanks Glenny!

smile Re: vsmon.exe eating my memory

Quote Originally Posted by timon View Post
    services.exe program that is most of the time actually from microsoft. Other times its a trojan. Unless you are using local clients that pop your mail to your PC, you don’t need Zone Alarm to monitor incoming email. Web-based services do that so go to command > msconfig > services > truevector internetmonitor (manufracture zone labs,LLC) uncheck it > apply > ok > reboot you problem must be solved now
    Hello Timon!
    Are you meaning the vsmon.exe?
    Isn't it used to actively check for viruses?

And thank you too Vishodhan for the explanation...

Unless you want to let your memory to be eaten up, you can let ZA's firewall that is vsmon.exe. Else you can disable its firewall and enable windows firewall...

The file is related to Zone Alarm Firewall. The main work of this file is to monitor the internet traffic that means it regularly scans you net traffic and generate messages in case of unwanted connection. This file monitor the usage of multiple users of Internet and gives alert if any other user which not configured in your network like virus, trojan, spyware, etc. This program is actually recommended that it should be shut down. But you can shut down it and use Windows Firewall instead of that. Because while on internet firewall is the services which does not allow anyone to access your system without your knowledge.