Thread: Remove Windows installer

Remove Windows installer

I'm using Windows XP and i'm having some issues with my Windows Installer program. The problem is that when i try to access Windows Installer Service, it doesn't get accessed on my system. I even tried to run it in a safe mode. I tried everything, but it doesn't worked out for me. So, can any body tell me that how can i remove windows installer utility from my system? Does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct solution for teh above issue.

Re: Remove Windows installer

To do this, select the programs that you want in the Installed Products list in the Windows Installer CleanUp dialog box. After you make this selection, the utility removes only Windows Installer configuration information that is related to those programs. Remove all Windows Installer information associated with the selected programs. This includes the entries for the programs in the Add Or Remove Programs item in Control Panel. Be aware that only the Installer information for that particular program is removed, not the files.

This problem may occur if one of the following conditions is true:

• The Windows Installer files that are on your hard disk are damaged or are missing.
    • You install or remove a program that uses the Windows Installer Microsoft Software Installation (MSI) package file (.msi). For example, this may occur when you try to install Microsoft Office on your computer.

To resolve this problem, use the following methods. To reregister the Windows Installer, verify the location of the Msiexec.exe file on your hard disk and in the Windows Registry, and then reregister the Windows Installer. To do this, follow these steps.

Note:- Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.

1. Determine the location of the Msiexec.exe file on your hard disk. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\system32, and then click OK.
    Note This step will open the folder where the Msiexec.exe file is located.
    2. Make a note of the location of the Msiexec.exe file. The location of the Msiexec.exe file will be a combination of the value in the Address text box and the Msiexec.exe file name itself.
    For example if the Address text box contains a value of C:\Windows\system32, the location of the Msiexec.exe file will be C:\Windows\system32\Msiexec.exe.

Make sure that the location of the Msiexec.exe file in Registry Editor is correct. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open text box, and then click OK.
    2. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, expand SYSTEM, expand CurrentControlSet, expand Services, and then click MSIServer.
    3. In the right pane, right-click ImagePath, and then click Modify.
    4. In the Value data text box, type the location of the Msiexec.exe file that you determined in step 1, followed by the value of /V, and then click OK.
    For example, if the location of the Msiexec.exe file is C:\Windows\system32\Msiexec.exe, type the following text in the Value data text box: C:\WINDOWS\System32\msiexec.exe /V
    5. Click OK to close the Edit String dialog box.
    6. Click the File menu, and then click Exit to close Registry Editor.
    3. Start your computer in safe mode, and then register the Msiexec.exe file. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, and then click Turn off computer or Shut Down.
    2. Select the Restart option, and then click OK, or click Restart.
    3. Press F8 before the Windows splash screen appears.
    4. On the Windows Advanced Option menu, use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode option, and then press ENTER.
    5. If you use a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the appropriate operating system from the list that is displayed, and then press ENTER.
    6. Log on to the computer.
    7. Click Start, click Run, type msiexec /regserver in the Open text box, and then click OK.
    8. Click Start, and then click Turn off computer or Shut Down.
    9. Select the Restart option, and then click OK, or click Restart.

For more information, you can check out the following link. Hope so it may resolve your issue.