Thread: What is wowexec.exe ?

What is wowexec.exe ?

What is wowexec.exe ? , Process explore continuously showing this process. Is is virus or Trojan? I searched on net but didn't found the any specific info about this file, everyone explaning in their own way. Please help me ...

Re: What is wowexec.exe ?

wowexec.exe is a part the operating system, and supports the use of 16-bit processes within Windows NT, 2000, XP and later version of Windows.This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Refer to following thread to get more idea about this issue:

WOWEXEC problem when I try to install an application

Good luck
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

Information about Wowexec.exe

Wowexec.exe (Windows on Windows subsystem) and Ntvdm.exe (NT Virtual DOS Machine) are used to run 16-bit programs (DOS programs) in a virtual environment. If they are being used you will see the programs indented under the Ntvdm.exe entry in the Task Manager. Ntvdm.exe and Wowexec.exe will remain in memory after you close the 16-bit application, "in case" you want to launch another 16-bit program. If these items are started when you boot the computer, but no associated program is shown under them, check your startup items, some 16-bit program is set to start and do something when the computer starts. That "16-bit something" could be anything.