Base a new template on an existing template
- On the File menu, click New.
- In the New Document task pane (task pane: A window within an Office program that provides commonly used commands. Its location and small size allow you to use these commands while still working on your files.), under Templates, click On my computer.
- Click a template that is similar to the one you want to create, click Template under Create New, and then click OK.
- On the File menu, click Save As.
- In the Save as type box, click Document Template. This file type will already be selected if you are saving a file that you created as a template
The default folder is the Templates folder in the Save in box. To save the template so that it will appear on a tab other than General, switch to the corresponding subfolder or create a new subfolder within the Templates folder.
- In the File name box, type a name for the new template, and then click Save.
- In the new template, add the text and graphics you want to appear in all new documents that you base on the template, and delete any items you don't want to appear.
- Make the changes you want to the margin settings, page size and orientation, styles, and other formats.
- On the Standard toolbar, click Save Button image, and then click Close on the File menu.